Post details: Apparently, I'm a misogynist.

09/05/08

Permalink 12:00:01 am, by Email , 1070 words   English (CA)
Categories: General Shtuff

Apparently, I'm a misogynist.

On Tuesday, I did a "half-butt" post about the current Vice Presidential candidate for the American Republican Party, Sarah Palin.

I pointed out what I thought was a bit of a failing in the fact that she preaches abstinence for "sex education" and tells her constituents that this is the best plan... and then had to announce that her seventeen year-old daughter was pregnant out of wedlock... and we must assume this was an "unplanned" pregnancy.

My feelings on this were that we teach our kiddollo not to play with matches... but still teach her the importance of what to do if she is burned, why we keep the battery in the smoke alarm in her bedroom and the one in our hallway fresh, and how and what to do if she needs to escape our home.

We also do believe that she should look both ways before crossing a street, but teach her to only walk at intersections and cross-walks.

Effectively, it would be great if all the kids in the world did what we want them to... but it's not reality... and we need to protect them and ensure that they are "good" no matter what the situation.

Apparently, teaching "abstinence only" was not effective for her daughter... and yeah, when someone preaches to others how to behave, and neglects to tend to their own back yard, I see a failing.

That said, I pointed out that "Troopergate" was worse... the story is that she fired a public safety commissioner in her home state of Alaska when he would not not fire her (in the process of becoming her "ex",) brother-in-law. Basically, she says it was over performance issues... but there is an investigation ongoing... and it doesn't look good. She has a lawyer helping with the case... he's on the government's payroll to do so.

I could now cite things like her also using the same "forcefulness" to try and dismiss a local librarian from the town where she was mayor. The reason? Apparently, the librarian did not give "full support to her mayor"... why? The mayor wanted to ban books that had "foul" language.

Then there is her minister at her church... who warned that critics of President Bush might be banished to Hell and that people who voted for John Kerry might not gain entry to Heaven... The same church where a guest speaker described terrorist attacks on Israelis as God's "judgment of unbelief" of Jews who haven't embraced Christianity. When compared to the howling about Obama Barrack's former pastor, one has to scratch their head a touch.

Of course, there's the "Bridge to Nowhere" issue... where Governor Palin axed what looked like a bad bit of business where a congressional initiative ponied up $233 million of the taxpayers money... yes, Palin was instrumental in killing this project, but did not return the taxpayers' money. In fact, while mayor she hired a Washington lobbying firm to secure almost $27 million in federal earmarks, which was about $1,000 per resident. This is exactly what McCain has fought against for years. It didn't stop when she took over the governor's desk. In February, she sent Republican Senator Ted Stevens a 700-page memo outlining nearly $200 million in new funding requests for her state. The money? Well, it's "eventually" going to go toward Alaskan roads... which is worthy, but didn't save the taxpayers a red cent.

Then, to return to the top of this, she slashed the funding of Covenant House Alaska by more than 20 percent... which included Passage House which is a place to help teenage mothers become self-sustaining parents.

Sources for this?

Now, with all this in mind, I had to do a "big no-no" in the blogsphere... and delete a comment.

Why?

Well, on my post on Tuesday, I was accused of being a misogynist.

Now, that alone would NOT have made me censor something... although as a son, brother, step-father, and husband, I had to laugh a little... and it's the FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE I've been accused of this.

No, I deleted the comment because the poster needed a thesaurus rather badly... basically, the diatribe was laced with invectives, foul language, and was generally pointless other than to tell me how evil and awful a person I am for picking on this woman and her daughter... as well as more than a couple of lines tossed in about what kind of parent I am for being so mean to women.

I find it funny that bloggers who go out of their way to post Barrack Obama's middle name (Hussein) in "All Caps"... who proudly placed images of him dressed as a terrorist on their blogs... who went after Hillary Clinton "tooth and nail"... have suddenly become the moral compass we all desperately need to listen to.

I am and have not mocked Bristol Palin for her situation... far from it, I have nothing but genuine concern and feeling for someone in her position... doubly-so for the fact that her's is so in the public... and, at this rate, might be blamed for turning a page in history.

That said, if a man was as "guilty" of the things her mother is, I would be just as appalled and horrified that they had managed to get as close to what is arguably the highest position of power on the planet.

Sorry to say, genitalia has little to do with what I see as a concern... character has everything to do with it.

If you need to CONTINUE to label me, so be it... but it won't change the facts... and it won't change how I feel...

Realistically, telling me about the "banning of books" would have been enough on it's own... but add the rest...!

I still wonder why the McCain folks thought this rolling train wreck of a politician would be a good choice for Veep? I can't imagine it was for her speech making abilities alone... or was it?

Addendum: (From 07:07 EST)...

Indeed.

Hat Tip to The Raw Story...

RLH 3

STOP BILL C-61

Comments:

Comment from: Nicholas [Visitor] Email · http://agentlemansdomain.typepad.com
She seems to be quite good at reading a speech that has been written for her but let's see how good she is at extemporizing, when debating Joe Biden.

She is young(ish) and quite attractive. Big deal. She stands for a party that spits on the poor, jettisons the sick, is devoted to money not people, entrusts the provision of public services to private corporations that can only prosper when they manage NOT to provide those services, regards the environment as something to be destroyed in exchange for money, and is quite happy to force women to procure backstreet abortions. Protect the fetus at all costs, but as soon as the unwanted child is born, then she will do her utmost to see that the child and its mother receive as little help as possible. She is a disgusting, moss-backed reactionary who wants to drag the USA back to another century, and I don't mean the twentieth.
PermalinkPermalink 09/05/08 @ 04:18
Comment from: admin [Member] Email · http://www.doubledeckerbuses.org/
Hello Mr. Pullen... I'm certainly glad that you feel to make your point, you must mock an entire nation who is America's largest trading partner amongst many other things... It is pretty clear that your grasp of international trade and politics is limited otherwise you'd understand why pretty much everyone, sadly, has a stake in the US elections... especially Canada. Very much like the last commenter who felt the need to tell me how wrong I am (granted, using FAR more colourful language... but they didn't mock an entire country mind you,) you didn't address any of the points, simply pontificated, mocked, then belittled in that order. Truth to tell, you didn't win anyone or anything over... and simply look like a mindless zealot trying to control that which you cannot control. I was hoping for better... perhaps I shouldn't from some. Sir, if you wish to "mock" or "belittle", start with addressing the data and facts, not my country of origin or a hobby.

Hi Nicholas... Aside from the obvious moral failings, as more and more info comes to light, one realises that should this ticket win, the world will reminisce warmly about the good old days of Bush/Cheney. I do wonder who Veep Palin will fire first for not banning books?

I could have also added, as a historian, her fantastic grasp of her own nation's history as well.
PermalinkPermalink 09/05/08 @ 06:35
Comment from: Sue [Visitor] Email · http://urbanzoo.suedarroch.com/
Warmongering, religious fanatics, who are far too concerned with other people's private parts have no place at the White House.
PermalinkPermalink 09/05/08 @ 06:40
Comment from: admin [Member] Email · http://www.doubledeckerbuses.org/
Hey Sweety... Well, one could argue she cares more about everyone else's private parts and neglected her own kin... which is worse.
PermalinkPermalink 09/05/08 @ 06:48
Comment from: DrillerAA [Visitor] Email · http://www.jr-brainfreeze.blogspot.com
As if fear, we may be faced with electing the lesser of two evils. As the former mayor of New York City pointed out, some decisions were so tough in the Illinois assembly that Obama just had to vote "present". He couldn't decide if yes or no were the right answer. He may be a master orator, but I don't think he's a leader.
The Christian community is filled with false teachers. Obama has set under the preaching of what could only be described as a racist, Rev. James Wright. He finally had to distance himself from such people. Time and space don't permit me to explain, but suffice it to say that we as Christians are responsible to test what we are being taught, and to avoid false teachings. Both Obama and Palin appear to have failed to do this. Both sides have more than their fair share of weaknesses. Even Hillary pointed out Obaba's association with a Chicago "slum lord". So I am left with two choices that I am not excited about. Where is Pat Paulsen when we really need him?

Just a note, parents can teach their children all of the options, but teens often believe they already have the answers, so there is no guarantee that they would use preventative measures. We can teach our children the right things to do, but eventually the choice is theirs alone. I would not place the child's situation on the parents lack of sharing information. The number of teen pregnancies is alarming and I doubt if all of them came from abstinence based homes. It often comes from the "It will never happen to me" mind set of a teen who believes they are invincible or at least believe that it won't happen just this once.
PermalinkPermalink 09/05/08 @ 08:36
Comment from: admin [Member] Email · http://www.doubledeckerbuses.org/
Hey DrillerAA... I've never meant this more... bless you. So far, the only voice on the opposing side that didn't call me names, didn't mock, and certainly didn't make everyone feel "lesser" for questioning things. Sadly, all to rare a thing in today's world as demonstrated.

I think that is what the race had degenerate to... the lesser of all evils... which didn't have to be.

...as for Obama's reverend, he's bad and oh yes, I am aware of that too... but so it appears to be true of the questionable behaviour of Mrs. Palin's spiritual leaders... again, it's all a question of which doesn't upset you more... a bad sign really. I guess I'm still a firm believer in the separation of church and state... living in a country myself where the lines get blurred... and seeing another where the same is true. I've never been "anti-Church"... at all... but I do like to hear that any religious leanings of a leader do take a back seat to the overall betterment of the constituents.

My argument about the teachings is not solely laid at a parent's doorstep in so many ways, it's that a person who did call the shots on education as a governor, who cut funding for those who found they weren't indestructible, who sadly did preach to others how to do things wasn't able to truly lead by example... and in some ways, again sadly, proved that one method is not enough...

Still, like you said, no one is perfect and if past mistakes were the only way one is measured, I dare say most would fail in the grand scheme of things... but my oh my, there's a point at which you have to say there's one too many issues to be ignored... and in my opinion only, Mrs. Palin has proven that someone didn't seem to do their homework... and in a position like that, it's rather frightening to those of us who see things and don't have much of a say.

One huge agreement as well... where is Pat Paulsen when we need him?
PermalinkPermalink 09/05/08 @ 09:57
Comment from: Sue [Visitor] Email · http://urbanzoo.suedarroch.com/
This appears to be legitimate:

It is written by Anne Kilkenny who lists herself as a homemaker and education advocate in Wasilla, Alaska. This should be easy enough to verify, and if so should be read by people on both sides of election as it gives an insider's and neighbour's view.
PermalinkPermalink 09/05/08 @ 10:47
Comment from: Wandering Coyote [Visitor] Email · http://wanderingcoyote.blogspot.com
I don't like her either, for the same reasons you cited. Does that make me a misogynist too - even though I'm a woman? Good God!
PermalinkPermalink 09/05/08 @ 11:43
Comment from: admin [Member] Email · http://www.doubledeckerbuses.org/
Hey Wandering Coyote... Apparently, in some circles, yes.
PermalinkPermalink 09/05/08 @ 11:44
Comment from: Debbie [Visitor] Email · http://www.likearose-deb.blogspot.com/
I'm with you on this. What kind of parent (note I said parent, either sex, not mother) intentionally for the sake of their own career/powerlust/whatever would throw their child to the wolves. I feel very sorry for hr daughter AND the father of her baby. They say he's going to marry her... wonder if he knows that or if dear Sarah plans on getting "forceful".
PermalinkPermalink 09/05/08 @ 16:42
Comment from: Stu [Visitor] Email · http://quebec.pararesearchers.org/index.html
Shotgun weddin!
PermalinkPermalink 09/05/08 @ 17:26
Comment from: admin [Member] Email · http://www.doubledeckerbuses.org/
Hey Debbie... I don't think anyone, anymore, doubts that Mrs. Palin will be forceful... or fire you... God knows what she'd so with a relative!

Hi Stu... More like bazooka with the media!
PermalinkPermalink 09/05/08 @ 21:19
It never hurt the media to dodge a bullet every once in a while. Lord knows they take enough pot shots at everyone else. Just sayin'
PermalinkPermalink 09/05/08 @ 22:51
Comment from: Andy [Visitor] Email · http://spicycauldron.com
I'm no misogynist either, and would never allow the risk of unfair labels being applied to be to stop me from speaking the truth as I see it, which may or may not be seen as truth by others. So I say now, she was chosen because she's a woman, to take advantage of Obama failing to pick Clinton as his VP candidate. And she was FIRST and FOREMOST chosen on the basis of her gender, to give a false impression of change in the Republican party.

She makes Thatcher look like a friendly old nanny.

As for the feedback we see coming from Republicans, it's fascinating how much of it is marred, whatever point is underneath it all, by abuse and schoolyard tactics. There's a drought of intelligent and reasoned thought. If there were any at all, global warming would have been acknowledged and stupid sods wouldn't have been calling out 'drill, drill' while this evil woman was talking at their convention.

Most of these convention goers were certifiably insane. Stick to small town ruination, Republicans - you're not fit to run a country. x
PermalinkPermalink 09/08/08 @ 04:42
Comment from: admin [Member] Email · http://www.doubledeckerbuses.org/
Hey Andy... There's a lot of us joining the "He-Man Wimmin Haters Club" because of this train wreck of a politician... including many who must hate their own sex! (Of course, the irony of that is lost on the pundits...)

...and Thatcher as an old nanny? I'd say more like Thatcher as a small girl in pig-tails! She makes Dick Cheney look like an old nanny!
PermalinkPermalink 09/08/08 @ 06:44

Leave a comment:

Your email address will not be displayed on this site.
Your URL will be displayed.

Allowed XHTML tags: <p, ul, ol, li, dl, dt, dd, address, blockquote, ins, del, span, bdo, br, em, strong, dfn, code, samp, kdb, var, cite, abbr, acronym, q, sub, sup, tt, i, b, big, small>
(Line breaks become <br />)
(Set cookies for name, email and url)
(Allow users to contact you through a message form (your email will NOT be displayed.))
This blog is called One Old Green Bus. Yup, the bus is green. What colour is the bus?

D O.U.O.S.V.A.V.V. M
Et In Arcadia Ego

My Disclosure Policy For Sponsored Posts

One Old Green Bus

Allow me to start with we do not own nor are we selling a bus. Just had to get that out...

This blog was started in April of 2006... during a very bad time for me and my family when money was very tight and life was very hard.

We maintained a happier outlook on life by fantasizing... talking about what we would do when times were better... and as Sue and myself are Anglophiles, England factored greatly into our "plans".

During these bad times, while looking at news items which, at the time included items about London removing their venerable old Routemasters, I came across one photo of an old green bus... and somehow, my whole family adopted it. It became very much "our bus". (Details about "our bus" are available by clicking here.)

Like most of you, I'd heard about the fellow who'd made a million dollars selling tiny ads online... and the fellow who did trades and turned a paper clip into a house... so I thought, since we couldn't make our bus actually into "our bus" (well beyond our means,) I'd try an "online" appeal... to make the focused item of our hopes into a tangible thing in our lives...

More specifically, in a burst of adult/juvenile optimism, I had hoped to show the youngest member of the family, who at the time was still very youthful and impressionable, that dreams really could become reality if you hope and, more importantly, try.

Well, I'm pretty sure you figured it out... we had limited succes in this venture... and the youngest has now reached an age where she is more traditionally "teenaged" cynical than much else about the world, which isn't a dreadful thing... but there's a "good news" portion to this... our personal situation with money is better, life has improved, and some people really liked my rambling here... so, I decided to keep things going... Yes, I will "give up" on asking for help on a bus... and have to give up on even trying as hard to get the bus through online means... and yes, be far more realistic... but I don't mind this "turn" of things as I actually enjoy venting, trying my hand at humour, and generally keeping on online presence outside my usual things.

Thanks to those who were/are "Busly Dream" enthusiasts... I suppose that our buses for now will be single-deck with the letters "TTC" emblazoned on them... but this blog will live as does our dream! (It's just a little quieter on that latter bit...)

About Me

Our Cafe Press Shop! Buy a shirt, mug, hat, ANYTHING and help support the dream! C'mon, all the REALLY cool kids are doing it! MARCH 2007 - NEW DESIGNS AND NEW STUFF AVAILABLE!!!

Looking for RV info? Check out phred Tinseth's Poop Sheets on Phrannie.Org

Old Green Bus Main Page

The Toronto Ghosts and Hauntings Research Society

ParaResearchers

Paranormal Studies and Investigations Canada

Virtually Strange Network

The Paranormal Blog

Nuttin' But Pimp

Life in the Urban Zoo

Pastyme with Good Companye

My Clan - The Carlyles

PSICAN Message Board

The LAW (Live Audio Wrestling)

Figure Four Online

Motherhood Metamorphosis

Motivated Motion

Musings of Khlari

Northview Diary

One More Word

Pointless Drivel

RealTalk - Biggus Sissus (My Big Sister)

The Spicy Cauldron

Planet Gallifrey

Pointless Directives

Raymi the Minx

Reflections of Time

Jim Ross

Stacie's Blog

If you're looking to make a little coin from your blog, I whole heartedly recommend Blogsvertise! They've been EXCELLENT and have paid nicely without issue!

Grokodile Blog Directory - Add Your Blog

Blog Soldiers

iPing-it!

Automotive Blogs -  Blog Catalog Blog Directory

Apparently, I'm a...

B-List Blogger

...is that a good thing?

Matthew Didier's Facebook profile

Because I believe in this...

Communicating with Skype...

Misc

XML Feeds

What is RSS?

powered by
b2evolution

Poll

Should we go back to concentrating on and letting folks know how things are going with our bus? (Kinda back to the good ol' days?)

View Results

Yeah, Baby!

My blog is worth So Much Money The Mind Boggles!.
How much is your blog worth?

D OUOSVAVV M
Didier Sigillum Militum Xpisti

Click here for the...

...blogroll!

Click here for the...

...blogroll!

Click here for the...

...blogroll!

Click here for the...

...blogroll!

Click here for the...

...blogroll!

Please support the dream by visiting and shopping with our friends below...

Tiger Direct (Canada)
Dell Canada Inc

Who's Online?

• Guest Users: 24

powered by
b2evolution

Above is NOT a sponsored ad... this is here because Mad Gringo
and the folks who look after it are just VERY cool!

Above is NOT a sponsored ad... this is here because a person
involved in the shop is a very kind person who checks
in on the dream! Please visit the site for great fashions!

Et in Arcadia Ego